Sunday, August 8, 2010

Pattern Review For Mcalls 2233 - Yes Chef



Pattern Description: This pattern is listed as a uniform but for my purposes it is more like a costume. Both my daughter and husband fancy themselves to be "Iron Chefs". When Bobby Flay sported a new jacket they wanted one too. This one is for my daughter.


Pattern Sizing: I made the size medium and it fits great.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.


Were the instructions easy to follow? No! The directions for the collar were difficult to understand. I took comfort in knowing that I was not alone in that. I just attached the collar the usual way. The sleeve facing instructions were poor. The results are more better if you attach the facing in two steps instead of one. First stitch the "V",clip and press. Then stitch the bottom of the cuff. In general, the instructions were lacking in the details that make a garment look well done such as understitching, edgestitching, and topstitching. These are needed on the collar and front edges. As the pattern is intended to be a uniform, I expected to see more durable and hardwearing seam finishes such as flat felled , bound or french seams.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Love the overall look.


Fabric Used:My daughter loves all things PINK so I made this from pink twill.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I added her name and I should have used a smaller script. This meant I had to lower the pocket. I should have shortened the sleeves to three quarters.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes I will make it again. My husband is patiently waiting for his black chef's jacket.


No comments: