Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Quick Cover-Ups

Update!

Thanks for visiting from Pinterest.

I am happy to announce that I now sell the cover ups on Esty.

Please visit my shop Sew Enduring.

Thanks






It started with one and quickly became three. I made a swim suit coverup for myself and then both daughters wanted one. High praise indeed. But I can't claim credit. I saw the idea on a blog back in June. I have tried to find my way back to it and failed. I owe a big thanks to some unknown blogger. It's a terrific idea.

Take a thinner cheaper towel ( 2 for $7.00 @ Loblaws ) and sew the short ends together to form a tube. I overlapped the edges and used a multi-step zig zag to flatten the seam and reduce bulk.

Hand wind a bobbin with elastic thread. It takes three to four bobbins to make one coverup. You should be able to get two coverups from one spool of elastic thread.

Use an older / cheaper / mechanical machine . I could not get my fancy Babylock machine to do anything but jam. My Janome Decor worked like a charm. I inserted the bobbin and threaded the machine as per usual and it went on it's noisy way.

I spaced my rows a presser foot apart because I like the look of the closely spaced rows.

Each coverup takes about two hours of sewing. It is relaxing as all you do if follow the row above and breathe.

One size fits most.




I am linking this post to Cheap Chic Home and her party


Photobucket

3 comments:

Vintagesouthernlife said...

This is such a cute project and so practical.

Kim said...

I'm sorry it took me awhile to get over here :(. You did a darling job. I love that idea--it's easy, but doesn't look like it.

Kim said...

Hey, I didn't realize you were such a new blogger! Welcome to blog world. I wish you much success. Email me if there's anything you need help with. And, thank you for posting my button :).