Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sewing The Stash

A few years ago I made my daughter this dress for a semi-formal event she attended.  The fabric is from Ann at Gorgeous Fabrics.  It is  silk and it is gorgeous.  I had a piece left over that I have saved for years.
This year I have been trying to reduce the amount of fabric on my shelves - at least one shelf!   I came upon this piece.  I had been saving it for something and I finally knew what.



Using this pattern, I made this


I love the detail on the waistband.  I made and attached all the bias binding by hand.  The hem has the same binding.




I always install the invisible zipper to the top.  Who wants a hook and eye?




And because Baba ( Grandmother in Ukrainian) always said that the inside should look as good as the outside, I continued the bias binding on the raw edges of the seams.



My daughter's favourite feature of the skirt -- it has pockets!


I am linking to 









and 
 



damedesignstudio



6 comments:

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

Another wonderful job, Janlynn. The silk is just gorgeous. Is this skirt for yourself? I just bought fabric for my daughter's prom dress (poly), I hope it turns out almost as nice.

Janlynn said...

I wish! It is yet another item for my oldest daughter. She needs nice clothes for work. I am planning something for myself soon!

Laura@ric rac rabbit said...

Hey Janlynn, thanks for stopping by my blog! You've got some great projects. By the way, my kids have a Baba too. My husband's side is full Ukranian. :)

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Beautiful skirt, I love the detailing at the front. Thanks so much for visiting me, I'm so glad you did so that I could find your blog too!
xx

Jaime said...

I had a Baba too from Poland. :) Beautiful job! Thanks for linking up!

DeniseAngela said...

I love this skirt & it is featured in my Fashion Friday Runway post today! Thanks for sending it to me! It is gorgeous!