Friday, April 15, 2011

Another Purse!

Yes, another purse.  
I was inspired by MaryEllen  and her beautiful bag.  I thought that it was a style my youngest daughter would appreciate.  She is difficult to sew for as we do not share the same design aesthetic.  She is into, as her sister says. the "bohomeless" look.  At one time she called her look "granny chic".  If it is old, she loves it.  So we spent some time discussing what she expected until I felt comfortable enough to sew.

I started with McCalls 3772 for the basic shape.   I love this pattern .  I have used it here  and here.   I think that I am ready to try designing my own pattern.   The outside fabric is interlined with left over quilting fleece.  The lining is interlined with leftover flannelette. I wanted it soft but sturdy.
 I marked off lines every 1 1/2 inches on both the front and back pieces.  Then I found my box of lace and started to cover the fabric. First I covered every row with a flat lace.  Then I added the gathered laces.   I made the front and back the same as I had so much lace . 
 To the front, I added a half a doily (I don't remember why I only had half), some vintage buttons, and a raw edge flower. 
 I lined the purse to the edge, no facing this time, with the same vintage cotton as the flower.  I cut the flower with a pinking rotary blade and left the raw edges out for texture.  I simply gathered the strip to make the flower.  Inside, I added a patch pocket.  I used some ruffled bias trim to encase the top raw edges of the purse.  I made the straps using my new method outlined in this post.
This purse was much quicker to make than the last one.  It was also much more creatively satisfying.
The amazing thing is we all love it.
Thanks for dropping by,

Janlynn













Linking to 






 










A Marvelous Mess













sew many ways





9 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Thank you so much for sharing with me your purse that was inspired by my ruffle purse post

Janlynn it turned out beautiful!! Love that 1/2 doily in the front! I think your lace is just perfect.
Had to chuckle at your daughter's "granny Chic". I hope she is enjoying this lovely creation !

bee blessed
mary

white life© said...

It‘s so nice that I found your blog about your link on Finding Fabulous. So I’ve scrolled a little and like what I see. Now I’m your new follower! ;)

Take care
Tine

Carolyn said...

That is a very pretty bag, I love all the ruffly lace. No wonder your daughter loves it so much!
Thank you for your lovely comment on my cargo pants.

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

Hi friend -- I love your "Bohomeless" description, you've created yet another piece of soft art. Thanks for the heads up on Urban Stitches in your last post. Hey, would you consider making your comments able to reply to instead of "noreply"? Sometimes I just want to shoot a note back to you. Also, I've finally added your blog to my sidebar so I'm not as delinquent about getting over here. Hugs, Kim

Jen said...

I love how feminine and delicate this is! thanks for stopping by my Fantastic Friday party and sharing this!

Crafty Girls Workshop said...

That is so very cute! Thanks for sharing.

The4Rs said...

What a great idea, and love the vintage touches and so "green" and thrifty! Would you please post a link on my Linky Giveaway party? http://the4rsRamblings.blogspot.com
Thanks!
Sandy

Manda said...

This is beautiful! Like you "granny chic" isn't my style but if I had a bag like this I could change my mind! :)

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

I love this bag so much it's not even funny! I might have to try and copy cat you a bit and make something similar for myself..!

Thanks for linking this up at H&H, sorry I'm a bit slow getting around to everyone's great projects!