Sunday, April 10, 2011

Wordy Bird Pillow

In my ever continuing quest to dispose of all scraps in a responsible manner ie. not just give up and throw them in the garbage in a fit of organizational zeal,  I made something this.

Sorry, from the photo you can see that we have not refinished or replaced the floors yet.  Therefore we have not installed the mouldings.  This house is an ongoing project to become our home.


The fabric is linen left over from the ruffled purse.  The accent black fabric is peau de soie, the remains from the opera coat I made my daughter years ago.

I think I have a problem throwing out scraps because each piece is a trigger for a memory.  I remember hunting for just the right fabric to match the vision in my head.   I remember where I found it, who I was with, and the process of making the vision a reality.

Wordy Bird was purchased from Urban Threads.  I love their edgy steam punk vibe and I have always been a fan of Edgar Allen Poe.  "The first handwritten stanza of Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven" fills the silhouette of this wordy bird. "  I think that is so cool and creative.  I stitched it out as soon as I downloaded it.  Of course the placement was not right.  That's why I added the black stripe.  


My husband and I thought that the black was a little too bold, so I softened it by hand sewing a row of buttons.  















I love it now and it fits in my current love of neutrals.




Thanks for dropping by.
Janlynn






Linking to 






 




























Blogger's Pillow Party



8 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Love the pillow!! You did a great job on that Opera coat too!

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Oh wow, that is an amazing cushion! I love the "wordy bird" - wonderful! Thanks so much for linking this up! xx

DeniseAngela said...

So beautiful - love it...I have the same obsession with scrap fabric.

Jenn Erickson said...

So beautiful! Your wordy bird pillow caught my eye over at Flamingo Toes and I just had to come by to give my regards!

Best,
Jenn/Rook No. 17

Kathryn Michelle Jenkins said...

you are very talented! I'm so impressed. saw you on polka dots parade.

kathryn
www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

MojoMama said...

I wanted to tell you that I was inspired by your pillow! Both in the simplicity and in the way you put it together!! So much so that I used some of that inspiration!
http://dojocrafting.blogspot.com/2011/04/bird-pillow.html

Rachel Hauser said...

Thanks for joining in on the Pillow Party! The buttons are a nice addition.

Manda said...

Lovely pillow! Love the wordy bird!