I picked up a little kit for a coin purse. Of course I couldn't leave it as a simple project. I have always wanted to try a little mixed media with my sewing. I have long admired the works of others. This little purse seemed like a good place to experiment with.
The first thing I did was photocopy the pattern sheet onto card stock twice. I needed one with seam allowance for the fabric and one without for the fleece. I cut the pattern without seam allowance and then used a handy gadget to trace around it to add a 1/4" seam allowance.
I used one of my many, many stamps and stamped a bird on a piece of fabric with Staz On ink. After the ink dried, painted the fabric with watered down craft paint. I trimmed the fabric with a wavy rotary cutter and stitched it to the front piece. Yo yos and wooden beads were added after the purse was stitched together.
This mini iron was a great help for pressing the tiny curved seams of this purse.
The purse is lined and hand stitched to the metal frame. I used 6 strands of embroidery to stitch the frame. The pattern was well drafted. I found that I had to slightly gather the top to fit in the frame.
The kit came from Quilt a Bag but this kit is not yet available online. I am going on a Toronto Fabric Shopping Excursion soon so I will look for a source for the frames. I can see making more of these.
They would be a really great gift. And the creative possibilities are endless.
I am very happy with my little bag . I will use it for my loonies and toonies.( $1 and $2 coins).
Thanks for dropping by.