Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Little Coin Purse



I picked up a little kit for a coin purse.  Of course I couldn't leave it as a simple project.   I have always wanted to try a little mixed media with my sewing.  I have long admired the works of others.  This little purse seemed like a good place to experiment with.




The first thing I did was photocopy the pattern sheet onto card stock twice.  I needed one with seam allowance for the fabric and one without for the fleece.  I cut the pattern without seam allowance and then used a handy gadget to trace around it to add a 1/4" seam allowance.


I used one of my many, many stamps and stamped a bird on a piece of fabric with Staz On ink.  After the ink dried, painted the fabric with watered down craft paint.  I trimmed the fabric with a wavy rotary cutter and stitched it to the front piece. Yo yos and wooden beads were added after the purse was stitched together.






This mini iron was a great help for pressing the tiny curved seams of this purse.

The purse is lined and hand stitched to the metal frame.  I used 6 strands of embroidery to stitch the frame.  The pattern was well drafted.  I found that I had to slightly gather the top to fit in the frame.

The kit came from Quilt a Bag but this kit is not yet available online.  I am going on a Toronto Fabric Shopping Excursion soon so I will look for a source for the frames.  I can see making more of these.
They would be a really great gift.  And the creative possibilities are endless.

I am very happy with my little bag .  I will use it for my loonies and toonies.( $1 and $2 coins).

Thanks for dropping by.

Janlynn




Partying at










 


7 comments:

donatella said...

Turned out lovely !
I saw yesterday this mini iron and I was wondering what was it for... now I figured out!! :)

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

What a cute little purse--your mixed media turned out well. Loonies and tunies -ha!

Donna said...

ooh that is CUTE!!

Carolyn said...

A lovely little purse; and very creative!
...loonies and toonies, that's very good!

Linda said...

This is so darling. I bought a few of these kits at a quilt show a year (or so) ago. :)

Now I really went to make them up. Just lovely.

Linda

DeniseAngela said...

So adorable!

Alia Dalwai said...

Hi,

I am your follower!
I really really like your blog.
Keep up the good work!

Do visit my blog too at http://aliascreativelife.blogspot.com/

Alia