Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Pattern Review of Butterrick 5621- Market Bag



















Pattern Description: Market Bags with attached pouch. There is a strawberry,flower,butterfly and bird

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  NO

Were the instructions easy to follow?   NO.  NO.  NO.  

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?I had purchased a bag that folded into a pouch that became a rose for $2.99.I thought it was cute but too thin and too small. I thought I could do better. I purchased this pattern because it would be a good jumping off point and because it was on sale.

That leads me to my first of many Dislikes.
1. The regular price of the pattern is $18.95 Canadian. I got it on sale for $1.99.
2. In order to fold the bag up into the pouch, you need to make it from Rip Stop Nylon. The pattern calls for 1.2m or 1 1/4 yds of fabric. Rip stop nylon is $8.00 per metre here. That equals $9.60 just for the fabric.
3. The reason you need so much fabric is to cut bias strips to bind the handles.
4. Said self made bias bindings must be mitred at the inside corners.
5. The sides of the bag are french seamed. The bottom is seamed and the raw edges are bound with more self made bias strips.
Seriously! I am all about old school sewing - no raw edges, inside as nice as the outside, no cutting corners, but seriously. Lets consider that I can purchase a nylon bag anywhere for less than $1. Canadian. I have already spent a potential $30.00 spent one hour cutting and sewing and I am not even finished!
6. It takes way too long to make. I usually use an old pattern from Linda MacPhee. The handles are curved. Therefore I can serge and turn under the edges. I can make several in one hour.
7. I was originally making this as a gift. No one except another sewist would appreciate the time and skill it takes to make this bag.
8. This is not a pattern for a beginner. 


Of course there are some good points.
1. It is darn cute.
2. The pouches can be made from scraps.


Fabric Used:Rip stop nylon as per the pattern

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:I am too frugal a person to use that much fabric to make one bag. I cut the bias strips from scraps of decorator fabric. That didn't work because it was too thick the make a flat miter. I cut the nylon bias strips. It was not easy to press in the raw edges as nylon melts. I became super frustrated with the inside miter and threw the whole thing in the garbage.  I turned to my old Linda MacPhee #880 pattern from the '90's --- yes she still  sells and yes it is still great.  



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I found a way to attach the pouch to my MacPhee bag. I like the idea of this pattern but not the construction. 
I would not recommend this pattern to anyone.



Excuse the wrinkles, that's the way it looks when it comes out of the butterfly.  The colour is actually yellow.



Conclusion: I hate to say it but China wins this round. It is better to buy the bag than make it. 
Now that mine is done, I have to use it. It is too good to take to No Frills
or Food Basics. I think I need to plan a trip to Whole Foods! 





Thanks for dropping by.


Please leave me a comment if only to say "Hi"
I will say "Hi " back


Janlynn




Linking to 








sew many ways

6 comments:

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

I sew. I LOT....and have for years. I almost never use a pattern, but did recently. An APRON.... oh, for Pete's sake. It was so hard to follow and how it was constructed was just ridiculous. I made a second one and put it together MY way. Much more effective. I don't know what's happened to pattern makers, but they just aren't what they used to be. And, WAY too expensive.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

PS.... the completed butterfly bag is just too cute.... :-)

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

Well, I can hear the ire in your voice all the way in the states! That sounds crazy difficult. I have to admit the butterfly and other dangles are darned cute. Maybe you could repurpose those and get some pleasure out of the pattern. Hugs ;).

Etcetorize said...

Ah! I finally found a way to leave comments again :) That sounds like one crazy pattern. In the end the one you ended up with is really cute though. Great review~

Carolyn said...

Wow, it does sound crazy difficult! Good thing you have your tried and true pattern you can turn to; but the colour is quite gorgeous!

Charlie M. said...

Boy, do I agree with you! Pattern makers think the average home seamstress has access to everything the commercial ones do! Plus, they think they have taken an "Advanced Design" class at University and can follow ANY tiny, tiny hints they may give us as to what goes where and when it goes there and how the seam is sewn. NOT! to all of that. It almost makes you weep, right there in the store, at the prices they charge for those small hints and the "added requirements" needed to make said pattern. GAAAA!
I'll go with any of the old, predictable, cheap and with clear instructions pattern ANY DAY!
I actually haven't bought any of those patterns for about 6 years just because of the problems with them. Myra Ungerman in the lovely Castle Valley of Utah

DeniseAngela said...

I feel the same way sometimes......I have some bag patterns but have yet not tried due to the complicated instructions! Have a wonderful week Janlynn!