Friday, August 26, 2011

Blue and White Dress --Vogue 1207 ---A Review

I made this dress for my oldest daughter for our New York trip.  She also took it with her on her recent trip to Nova Scotia.  She was not only a friend and guest at the wedding but event designer and decorator.  I hope this dress helped her to feel confident and professional.



Pattern Description:   Close-fitting, A-line, above mid-knee length, lined dress has front and back pleats, gathers, back darts, bias short sleeves, side seam pockets, back invisible zipper, 
front scooped neckline and back deep V-neckline.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? You know what, they actually were!  The sleeves are pleated then gathered.  The sleeves become part of the bodice.  The darts of the bodice must match the darts of the skirt.  It all goes together with clear instructions and diagrams.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  My daughter loved the back or lack there of.  That was the deciding factor for this dress.

Fabric Used: I used a polyester crepe.  It is royal blue with white flowers.  My daughter picked it up at the Textile Museum's More Than a Yard Sale a couple of years ago.  I think we paid $5.00 for the piece.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I lengthened the dress by two inches as my daughter is tall.  I did not add the hook and eye at the top.  I installed the invisible zipper right up to the edge.  I used an 8" zip as that's what I had.  There is no difficulty in putting on or removing the dress.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Because of it's unique style, I don't see a need for more than one dress like this.  I would recommend it to others.  It is rated average by Vogue and I think that that is accurate.

Conclusion: This was another dress I made for my daughter.  She has worn it to a couple of events and is happy with it.  This dress does require a low back foundation garment.  Oh, I almost forgot the best feature of this dress - it has POCKETS!.


Thanks for dropping by.

I appreciate you taking time to leave a comment.

Janlynn

Join me at
HookingupwithHoH











sew many ways

7 comments:

Etcetorize said...

Oh my gosh, I just noticed your dress form...I inherited one just like that a few years ago and all of the little screws and wing nuts to change the sizes drove me crazy. I could never get all of the pieces of the bodice to fit together nicely. Eventually I bought a brand new one with dials on it.
Anyway, your dress looks lovely. I bet your daughter feels like a million bucks in it~

southernscraps said...

That's a great looking dress! So pretty and stylish!

Andrea said...

Pretty dress!

Carolyn said...

I'm sure she felt wonderful in this beautiful dress! So clever and generous of you to make it for her!

DeniseAngela said...

What beautiful fabric.....love the back of your daughters dress! Looks like you have been busy & I really like your new header, button & your photo of you!

Connie said...

Beautiful dress!!

Betsy J said...

It's lovely! The back is just gorgeous with the cut of the dress.