Saturday, August 20, 2011

Feathered Bag


 It really is cobalt blue!  The sun was just really strong and bright!



A hot shaggy puppy to prove it. She was in the middle of a yawn.  I need to call the groomer!


Anyway, back to the bag.  My daughter hates matchy- matchy.  For her, contrast is a good thing.  She decided that she needed a cobalt bag for her new dress.  We could not find one in the right colour.  Then she wanted it to be covered in feathers.  I think she saw something on net-a-porte but their prices are not in her student budget.

So while she registered for school I visited all my favourite stores on Queen Street in Toronto.  I scored in Sussmans Bridal Supplies who have so much more than bridal supplies.  They had cobalt blue feather trim.  I bought three yards.  Then I went to Leo's Textiles and found peau de soi in the exact same colour.  You may remember Leo's from episodes of Project Runway Canada.  It is a small store stuffed with fabric.

The size of the purse was dictated by two things, the size of her I-phone and the amount of feathers I had.  I had planned to just cover the front.  But no, she wanted the entire purse covered.




I settled on an eight inch square that became seven after seam allowances were taken. I cut three eight inch squares of satin and underlined each with thick flannelette.  This is a trick I learnt making a ballet costume for my niece.  The flannel gives the satin more body and richness.  
I marked the centre of the square and sewed on the trim from the centre out thereby accounting for the nap.  I did not attach the trim in the seam allowance.
I interfaced one square (not in the seam allowance) and installed half of a magnetic clasp.  This piece was then folded in half and sewn to the last square.  The other half of the clasp was installed on this piece.  





Attaching the feather covered front was very tricky.  I sewed the lengthwise seams by machine.  The horizontal seams were stitched by hand.
The bag is very bright and blue.  But my daughter loves it.
I have to go and clean my sewing room.  There are bits of blue feathers everywhere.












sew many ways

4 comments:

donatella said...

love it! i fully agree with your daughter taste! is bailey sneezing with all these feathers? ah!! you are a master in perfection, chapeau!!! xox, d.

DeniseAngela said...

Lol about the feathers all over the room! I love love this clutch! I am working on a inspiration post & would love to use this....let me know :)
btw....Baily is adorable!

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

I never would have thought about making my own clutch :/. I could have used a new one for the wedding, but probably wouldn't have wanted to add another project--maybe next time.

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

LOVE this!!! I am totally into feathers (I have some in my hair!) and this clutch is just beautiful! Thanks so much for linking up to DIY Diva Thursdays and for helping spread the word :)

Kara
www.mineforthemaking.com