Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Happy New Year !











After many, many years of schooling, and sending kids off to school,  I have come to feel that September starts the new year not January.  This is the time I feel full of hope and promise and change.  September is when I make my new year's resolutions.  

That said, I am old enough to know that to keep those resolutions I need to have structure, accountability, and deadlines. 

So I have joined some groups for a little help.




Once again, I have joined Robin's Stash busting September.  I have promised to not buy anything new and to use what I have to complete some projects.  I have to make at least one re-purposed item.

To start off the busting I made two tea towels that reduce my fabric stash, use embroidery designs I already have, and will brighten my home.




Kim, please note the use of bias tape to bind the top of the towel.












I have joined Reba's Molly Sew-a-long to make a purse from fabric I already own.  She is offering a free pattern with a sign up to her email list.  The pattern and the blog give very detailed instructions.  So far, I am up to date with that.









I am using denim as the bottom, some home dec sample swatches as the top and ruffle, and 1970's Laura Ashley cotton for the lining.






Yes, I bought this $40.00 ruffler foot at a thrift store for $5.00.  They had no idea what it was.  But I did.
And yes, in the past for another machine I DID pay $40.00 for a ruffler foot.



Back in April, I joined the Sew Weekly Sewing Circle but never participated in any challenges.  This week's challenge is to work with dyes, fabric paints or markers.  I have had some ideas floating in the empty fields in my head.  I want to do this challenge.

Lastly,  I invited out of town family members for dinner for October 1.  That's my deadline to have my house clean and decorated for fall, bathroom renovation done, my grandmother's chair re-upholstered, something nice to wear that fits, and just for fun, let's throw in world peace too! 

Well I'm off to make my lists and organize myself.  

Thanks for dropping by.  I appreciate all your comments.  

Even though I will be working hard I will still have time to party!



sew many ways















6 comments:

donatella said...

i'm tired just to think of your to-do-list! the stash buster is an ongoing thing for me, but the bathroom redo, the chair upholster, and the house cleaning.... oh well, ... happy new year to you!
september is a new thing for me too. i normally do medical check ups, join the gym... and that's it!! xox, d.

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

Stash busting--do you think you'll make a dent in your stash? Your towels are so cute. I know your purse will be, you are such a master at those. And, dang girl! I looked at ruffler foots (feet?) recently and they were more than $40, $60 and up.

Reba @ R.Kay Design said...

Wow, you really got a deal on that ruffler! I bought one at JoAnn's for less than $20 but I don't think it's as good as it should be. I think I'll get one of those expensive ones that works well - gotta save for that.

Thanks for going through the sew-along at my blog! I'm so happy to have you. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck with that really long to-do list.

DeniseAngela said...

I love that bite me tea towel....so adorable! Now you make think I do nothing with all that you have to do! lol :)

Carolyn said...

That's a wonderful to-do list, I wish you lots of luck! A bathroom renovation is pretty ambitious!
I think those tea towels are adorable. The embroidery is a very fun design!

Gayle said...

Beautiful tea towels. Love the embroidery.