I want to begin this review by saying that I love Kwik Sew patterns. I have made many, many,many of their patterns several times over. Of the 33 patterns currently in their activewear section,I have made 14 of them. Of the 20 swimsuit patterns in their roster, I have made 5 of them. I am not a stranger to sewing with lycra, elastic, or a serger.
That said, I was not happy with my results of this pattern. I made it three times, for my two daughters and myself. We are different shapes and sizes. But we all had issues with the fit of this swimsuit. Two of us had gaping in the underarms and one had problems with the straps constantly sliding down, I was very accurate in my cutting and measuring but still there were problems.
Kwik Sew 3779 reads "Swimsuits have lined front with gathers at side and center seams and leg openings finished with elastic. View A is strapless, has shelf bra lining, double flounce in center front seam, and top edge is finished with elastic. View B has V-neckline, lined upper front with gathers for bust, low cut back, and neckline and armholes finished with elastic."
I made view B three times. Yes it did look like the photo on the pattern envelope.
The instructions were clear and easy to understand.
|You can see the gaping under the arms.|
|This one is mine. I shortened the elastic around the arm holes by 2 inches. I also cut the suit on the crosswise so the stripes would run vertically. The stretch was greater this way too.|
|I wish it looked like that on me.|
I liked the gathered front to help hide a less than perfect figure.
I did not enjoy making this pattern due to the incredible amount of basting. Basting lycra! You need to have a good quality lycra to be able to baste and gather 3/8" seam allowance otherwise the fabric will roll and curl. Years ago,(1980"s) I made a very similar style with a McCalls pattern. I don't remember gathering but using clear elastic instead. I had fit issues with all three suits. At first I thought it must be something I did wrong. So I made another. This time I cut the elastic a little shorter. The fit was better but still not quite right. The third one is the best of the bunch as I tweaked it a little more. But I am still not happy. I have never had so many problems with a Kwik Sew pattern as I have with this one.
I took one of the suits apart (not an easy task) and shorted the elastic around the arms. It helped the fit quite a bit.
I have contacted Kwik Sew concerning my problems with this pattern. To date I have not received a response. I would not make this pattern again or recommend it to anyone. I am extremely disappointed in this pattern.
As you can tell I am not happy.
Instead I will focus on some information about sewing with lycra. I always use weights on the pattern and cut with a rotary cutter. You need a good sharp blade.
I like to use a 4 thread stitch on my serger with wooly nylon thread in the upper looper. This will give your seam stretch and strength.
I always apply the elastic with the serger. Run the elastic against the edge of the blade. Use a long stitch length to decrease bulk.
When applying elastic to the legs, the pattern tells you to apply it flat in the front and gathered in the back. You still need to stretch the elastic in the front slightly. The tension allows it to lie flat and not ripple. I always try to do the front first, then pull what's left to fit the back.
Top stitch with a stretch twin needle . A new trick I just learnt from a Sandra Betzina DVD is to hand wind wooly nylon thread onto the bobbin. This worked so well. It gives the top stitching so much more stretch.
|I think this might be my best top-stitching ever.|
We don't have a beach, but I love this sign my husband made to hang outside the side door. It directs you to the pool. Those are junipers not palm trees.
Thanks for dropping by.
Your comments are always welcome.