Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Little Late, But's Finished - McCalls 6331




Actually I had this finished quite a while ago, but I was waiting for my daughter to model it for me to photograph.  Seems she is always too busy!  So three weeks later, here it is on a dressform.

This McCalls pattern is a Generation Next by Melissa Watson for Palmer/Pletch.  Isn't that a mouth full!  Any other name we could add to this?  It is a cute little romper that fits amazing well. ( DD is too busy for fittings).  The pattern comes with separate pieces for different cup sizes.  That made such a difference.  The pattern also comes with the Palmer/Pletch directions for various fitting adjustment.  I found there were too many lines on the pattern pieces and I started to confuse the cutting line I was following with one I was not.  It was just one of those moments when you realize it's wrong after you cut.  Luckily I only messed up one and I had enough fabric the cut it again.

The instructions easy to follow, but they were incomplete.  The pattern is aimed at a younger crowd.  They probably need to be told or shown how to understitch, topstitch,clip, notch,trim,grade,press, etc.  The rounded corners of the front bodice need to be notched,trimmed, and press open before being turned to the right side.  You need to check that both sides are the same.  Once turned the lining needs to be under stitched.  Even then I felt it looked unfinished so I added topstitching around the top.  The pattern calls for the end to just fold down and flap.  I tacked them in place.

Because I installed an invisible zipper in the back, I changed the order of the short construction so that the back seam was left open.

I really, really, liked the cup size pattern pieces.  That took away all of my fit issues for this daughter.  This is the first time I have used this type of pattern and I will certainly use them again.

The fabric is a wonderful Amy Butler print.

Thanks for dropping by.

I always appreciate your comments.


Partying at 











sew many ways





4 comments:

Andrea said...

Janlynn, such a cute romper! My daughter is not patient with fitting, abd the cup sizes would really help. I will have to put this one in my arsenal. Thanks for the review.

Etcetorize said...

Sooo cute! I wish your daughter could model more often. Would love to see it on her~

DeniseAngela said...

Adore this romper.....fabulous review too.....thanks for all your tips!

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

This turned out so cute, Janlynn. I'm glad you noted it was Amy Butler's fabric, I really like it. You ought to tell your daughter, that if she doesn't model it, you will!