Thursday, September 1, 2011

My Little Black Dress - Pattern Review of Vogue 8683



I am way behind on my blogging.  Before I get into all the fall stuff, I have to finish posting all the summer stuff.  
I made this dress back in July for my NYC trip.  I really love how it turned out.  I did wear it on the trip and felt cool and comfortable.  

Here's my review.

Pattern Description:
Semi-fitted, mid-knee length dresses A, B have pleated front, back shoulder darts, purchased bias tape facings, stitched hems, hook and eye closure. A: sleeveless. B: long sleeves.

Pattern Sizing: 16 - 24   I cut a size 16 on top and 18 on the sides

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes I love it.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were excellent!  They even mentioned understitching.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I did not like the idea of finishing all the edges with pre-made bias tape so I cut my own strips.

Fabric Used: Black Crepe

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Of course I had to line the dress.   I always feel that a dress should be lined it hangs better, wears better, looks better.  The pattern has the option of sleeves or not.  The armhole is cut exactly the same for both views. Usually the armholes are cut deeper for sleeves.    I had planned on adding the sleeves so I constructed the dress as per the pattern and attached the lining at the neckline.  Then the temperature spiked and I decided to make it sleeveless.   I also found the sleeves a little tight.   To finish the armholes, I measured the opening and cut bias strips from my scraps.  I attached the strips and trimmed the seam allowances.  Then I hand sewed the strips to the inside lining of the dress .



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I am planning on making this dress a couple of more times.  I would like to make the long sleeve version and maybe one with beading in the pleats.  This pattern makes the perfect Little Black Dress.  I can add a scarf and cardigan to make it causal or heels and jewelry for a dressier look. 

Conclusion:  I am really pleased with this dress.  It was my travelling dress on my New York trip. It was cool,  comfortable, and looked great all day.  It was really quick and easy to make.  It really is Very Easy Vogue.

Thanks for dropping by.

I really appreciate your comments.

Partying at






sew many ways


 


5 comments:

Catherine Goetz said...

Hi Jan, I love this dress. I love the tucks at the neckline, the flattering boat neckline and the overall silhoutte. Nice work!

Andrea said...

Great dress, Janlynn. Love that neckline!

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

I really like the detail at the neckline. It looks stylish w/o being overly difficult to make. So, you're a premade seam binding bigot, are you? ;)

prttynpnk said...

I'm with you on the seam binding- I like fabric consistency- beautiful dress- can't wait to see your opther versions!

Joyce in NC said...

I just found this pattern on the Out of Print sale. It looks like a great dress for all occasions. Your LBD looks very nice. Thanks for the review.