Monday, September 12, 2011

Nerd Pencil Case













I have been busy working on my list and getting things done, but there are always surprises and additions.  
My oldest daughter needed a case to carry around supplies for her classes.  Since she is a fashion student, the case had to be different than your dollar store variety.  It also had to be big enough to hold scissors.  


The nerd pocket design from Urban Threads came to mind.  I embroidered it on a piece of pink felt.  Here's the stash busting part -- the pink felt was leftover from a costume I made her when she was 6 years old (she's 21 now).  She was the cutest Pink Power Ranger ever.


Do you see the depths of my addiction.  Who keeps scraps for that long?  


After embroidering the design I traced the shape of the hoop onto the fabric and cut it out with a wavy blade rotary cutter.  I did the same for the back.  Then I triple stitched them together to make the stitching stand out.  Velcro at the top holds it all together.



While visiting Urban Threads I found this button.  I love it!  I hope that I show that embroidery doesn't have to mean teddy bears and puppy dogs on everything.  They have their place just not on my shirts.


Thanks for dropping by,

Partying at 







sew many ways


HouseofHepworths



Passionately Artistic


























8 comments:

donatella said...

You are making me want to spend money into an embroidery machine..... bad girl!!
and I am one of those who keeps scraps FOREVER. we should open a club!!!

Andrea said...

Love it, especially Pi on the calculator. ;)

julia said...

How cute! And, thanks for your warm welcome to blogland!

Just Jaime said...

haha that is a long time to keep a scrap! I love the calculator!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

This is so cute! And unique. And there is nothing wrong with keeping things forever! You always find a use for things eventually. Thanks for sharing

DeniseAngela said...

Wow....that is a long time....my oldest stash of fabric is 12 years old! Love the pink!

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

This is so cute, Janlynn. Yes, that was a l-o-n-g time to hang on to felt! I have some flannel that I cut out for a nighty and I think the pattern and fabric are still pinned together! (A toddler size for my now 22 yr old!)

Pam said...

I think it's fabulous that you have kept material for SO long. I thought my sewing days were over, so gave away all my fabrics and yarns. With new found time on my hands, I'm back to sewing again and wish I'd kept my fabrics. Never mind, I have an excuse to go fabric shopping. Love the design.