Saturday, October 15, 2011

Working My Way Through My List

I have been working very hard to complete my list of things I need to do before my out of town guests arrive.   Let's be real here.  These things needed doing anyway, I just needed a deadline.

So let's review the list "my house clean and decorated for fall, bathroom renovation done, my grandmother's chair re-upholstered, something nice to wear that fits, and just for fun, let's throw in world peace too! " 


1. House clean --Well, that's ongoing.  It's clean when I am home alone and a disaster when everyone comes home.  


2.Decorated  -  The outside is done.  The inside is done.  Room by room I am added little fall touches to each room.


3. Bathroom Renovations - We are nearing 99.9% done---finally! Finishing touches needing to be done -- a privacy curtain under the sheers, another mirror, perhaps something on the wall, glass wall at end of tub, shower curtains and rod installed.  The last bit might have to wait.  I need to interview more contractors.  Photos will be posted soon. 


4.My Grand Mothers Chair - This has been a lot of work but it is  still not done.  



I don't know why the photo is sideways.  Anyway, this is the chair stripped bare and completely re-stained.

Toolbox ready!


 Woven webbing and masking tape to protect the wood from my hammer.  



Looking better already.


I made many, many, small bundles of horsehair and stitched them to the decking that is over the webbing.  Then I covered the horsehair with burlap.


The burlap was stitched to the horsehair.




Then two layers of felt were placed on top of the burlap.

I tried out the chair with all the padding.  It has never been a comfortable chair but this felt pretty good.










Then everything is covered in muslin.  


If you are keeping count, that's seven layers all stitched or tacked to the frame. 

Now I am ready for the fabric.  This where I am having problems.  


I have cut the fabric and found the centre but I cannot attach it to the frame. It's hard to see in the photos but the sides of the seat are concave.  Hammering into a curved surface made of very hard wood is frustrating me.  I have tried three different sizes of tacks and three different sizes of staples from two different guns.  I have caused some damage so I have decided to stop.  


My husband said, two weeks ago, that he would give it a try...  I am tempted to take into town to visit the local upholstery shop and see if they could finish it for me.  It shouldn't be too expensive should it?  


If anyone has suggestions, ideas, or advice, I would love to hear it.


I want to finish this project and check it off my list.


Thanks for dropping by,





7 comments:

Andrea said...

Take it to the upholstery shop and check it off your list. You've done most of the work already, right? Perhaps the upholsterer can teach you a trick for next time.

Mandi@MandiBeingCrafty said...

I don't think it would be too expensive. But I would take it in too.

Janet said...

I agree with Andrea and Mandi. At least show the pro and get an estimate. It is a unique chair. I've done chair seats so I went back and looked real closely. Only option I could think of is upholstery tacks that would be meant to show. I hope the pro wouldn't scratch your beautiful refinishing job.

Janet said...

Just asked hubby, he's done a lot of this stuff, suggests a piece of wood shaped to the opening of the seat, cover with foam (on sale at JoAnn's this week)staple all your layers including top fabric and fit it into concave frame. Or make a frame ov 1 X 2s and do a similar process. He says he's done it successfully. Live in CT? LOL

Gayle Page-Robak said...

This is such a wonderful chair!! So beautiful and you have done an excellent job on it. I love the name of your blog because I, too, should Sew More (smile). I was an avid sewer for years and recently I have been slacking off. I am following you now, for inspiration, and invite you to join my followers list and grab my blog buttons (2) as well. I am at:
http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com
Hugs, Gayle

Etcetorize said...

You've done so much work on it already, I vote for the upholsterer to finish it up for you. Take a break so that you can move onto the next thing on your list.
Thanks for linking up at Etcetorize~

DeniseAngela said...

that is a beautiful chair & that was my thought too....get it done by someone else.....sometimes it is hard but it will free up more of your time for you to enjoy your guests!