Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas Tree Skirt


It's a little late in coming, but I have finally started to decorate for Christmas.  I have almost finished with all the estate details, thank you cards have been sent, just a few more details to deal with.  But they can wait and Christmas can't.
I made this tree skirt six or seven years ago.  My husband loves victorian crazy quilts  and Christmas decorations so I made this with him in mind.


I used an old Butterick pattern that I bought when it was new.  Now you would call it vintage.
I collected scraps of velvets,satin, brocade, lame, and a rich cotton print.  I tried to use every stitch on my machine to embellish each seam.  I hand beaded some seams for extra glitz.  I also used scraps of lace.
The background fabric is crushed velvet.  It is lined with satin.  I also added piping and fringe.  With victorian styled items more is never enough.

Bailey had to investigate as we put the skirt around the base of the tree.  She thinks everything is a blanket for her!

Merry Christmas










5 comments:

donatella said...

it is G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!!! Victorian goes with Christmas hand to hand. it's a perfect match!! as usual, a perfect job. you're so good!!

Sew Country Chick said...

Beautiful Janlynn! I love the feather stitches on the piece?is tha what thy are called?

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

That is so pretty, Janlynn. The stitches give it the crazy quilt feel, for sure.

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

BTW, I just ran across a blogger that used an old ball gown, I thought that was a great idea, too.

Nat said...

Hi Jan :) gosh I love this tree skirt!! So many beautiful details. Best wishes to you and Gillian for a festive Christmas with family and friends.