Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Party Time!!







Its time for Christmas parties and hostess gifts   I had two pot luck parties to attend in two days so I made  the food and gift twice.  

I thought I would share both with you.








First the food.  My oldest daughter found the idea on Pinterest. 

 We made veggie shots.
1. Spoon dip (1 to 2 tablespoons) into disposable plastic wine glasses.  I used purchased dip.



2. Add raw veggie spears.  I used celery,  mini carrots, english cucumbers, and cherry tomatoes on party sticks.





3. Arrange in dip.
Now you can mingle,talk, and eat while holding your veggies and dip!





Next the hostess gift.
This glamorous wine bottle wrap was inspired by one I saw on the Pottery Barn website a last year - before Pinterest.

1. The first thing I did was search for a bottle wrap pattern on the internet.  I found this one at Embroidery Library Projects.  Follow the directions to make the pattern but round off the point.



2. Trace the pattern unto the faux fur. Cut only the backing not the fur. Cut one from a lining.  I used a scrap of kasha satin.









3. Sew the fur and the lining together leaving a small opening for turning.  Use a pin to keep the fur out of the seam allowance while sewing.  I used 1/4" seam allowance and trimmed it close to reduce the bulk.



4.Turn and finger press.  Slipstitch the opening closed.  

5. Test fit on the bottle and pin the button placement.
6. Find the a fancy button and sew through all layers.



7. You now have a glamourous bottle wrap to take to the party.


Thanks for dropping by.


9 comments:

julia said...

What wonderfully fun ideas! I got the older of my two machines running. Took a few passes, but it makes beautiful stitches. Next up - try winding a bobbin! I'm loving it!

Andrea said...

Love the individual veggie and dip servings. Great for flu season!!

Lisa said...

Both of these ideas are great! I think the fur wrap on the wine is so fun! And the veggie shots are a great healthy alternative to all those fattening appetizers.

Catherine Goetz said...

I can attest to the fact that the veggie dips were a big hit. Would work for shrimp cocktail too I think.

Anonymous said...

Wow I just love the gorgious fur wrap you made for the wine bottle. I always say you shouldn't give a gift without the appropriate WRAP!!

Jamie said...

I love this idea, too bad I didn't see it sooner, I'm going to a holiday party tomorrow and I'll be taking a bottle of wine, but I live in a very small town and don't have fabric stores here :(
too bad.

Etcetorize said...

You are so smart! I love those veggie cups. And the wine bottle cover is tres chic. Thanks for linking up at Etcetorize~

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

I totally love both ideas, Janlynn! I never would have considered making a wine bottle wrap!

Shelly Jack said...

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing! I found your blog on Sew Many Ways Crafty Linky Party :)