Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Organizing the Craft Room






Old library card catalogue that may late FIL built a top,base and legs for.  He also made bottoms for each drawer.  It now holds inks, embellishments of all sorts, and various other paper crafting supplies.  On top of the cabinet is the Cricut , a mail tray full of dies and embossing folders,  and her new Big Shot.

I started paper crafting a few years ago.  My youngest daughter became interested in it about a year ago. We started attending classes and crops together as a way of spending time together.  It quickly became apparent that her talent and passion for the craft far exceeds mine.  While I still enjoy making a few cards,she is Queen of Paper in our house.  One of her Christmas presents this year was a die cutting machine.  I thought I could add something to make her crafting time more enjoyable.  
I cleaned, organized, and arranged a studio space in the basement.  

Behind the cabinet is a really old, my first apartment in 1976 old, metal shelving unit with  the Cricut  cartridges, punches, jars of ribbon, binders of stamps, punches, magazines, jars of glitter, boxes of flowers, a box of fibre, a bag of bags,(bag from our favourite store), and all sorts of treasures that took me forever to sort.



This old cabinet stores our collection of wooden stamps.  


The plastic baskets are from IKEA the rod was a towel rack from one of the bathrooms we demolished,  The top jar rack is from Michaels.

I am still working on sorting my button collection.  The jars are from IKEA and I need a lot more.  The racks are from the inside of my MIL's very old fridge.  My husband plans to make the fridge an outdoor smoker - but that's another story.




Bulletin board with past projects and future plans.  The dog shapes were packaging from  Jonathan Adler  dog accessories we bought at Maceys in NYC.  I thought they were too cool to throw out.  

At work on a project.  She is supposed to clean up when she is done.  Notice the crock of flowers.  My old sewing machine is also stored on the floor.  She uses it to stitch on paper.

More storage from IKEA.  The paper storage box is from Michaels and is the only new thing I have purchased for this room.  Everything else came from shopping around the house.  The ribbon is hung on an old curtain rod that came with the house.  The previous owners loved Umbra.  Another old towel rack hangs below.
Another shot of the paper and ribbon storage.  The desk holds our YUDU machine.


I just wanted to share and show that I have been busy.  I have many new projects to share soon.

Thanks for dropping by,

5 comments:

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

How nice to have a dedicated craft space. I really like the button containers.

DeniseAngela said...

What a gorgeous craft table....I have not seen that since I was a kid! Love how you mixed the old with the modern....would love to see your daughters cards too! Have a fabulous week Janlynn!

Etcetorize said...

What a great space. Your library card holder is gorgeous! What an amazing piece.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

One of my resolutions has been to set up a dedicated sewing space so I really enjoy this post. I love what you have done so far - that wooden library catalogue is such a great piece and excellent idea for your button collection.

julia said...

Janlynn, I don't think any new year should start without a least a little bit of reorganizing! It will be fun for you and your daughter to work in such nice surroundings! Have fun!