Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Post Christmas Update


This year I had Christmas dinner for ten.  I did not have that many matching dishes, linens, or chairs.  So we had to solve that problem fast.  I found Christmas dinnerware on sale for $10.00 for four place settings. So now I have dishes for 12 for $30.00.   I purchased a Santa fabric from Ikea in the fall.  I had no plans for it when I bought it, but the colours match my new dishes.


To showcase the Santas , I carefully cut strips and pieced them with  solid green ( also Ikea fabric from the summer).  I backed  the placemat with red cotton velvet from my stash.   The velvet was an ever moving , shifting, growing nightmare that no amount of pins or walking foot could control.  I used small strips of Steam-a-Seam in the seam allowances to hold the mats together while sewing.




I snooped at Crate and Barrel and carefully examined their place mats.  They did not have batting or interfacing so I followed their lead.  They are topstitched.  The velvet makes them quite firm.
 I have enough leftover fabric to make an apron and oven mitts but no leftover time. They will have to wait for next Christmas.



Gordon Ramsay's Gravy - best I ever made


I have to brag that Christmas dinner was fantastic.  It was a family effort to produce a wonderful meal.  But the real star was Gordon Ramsay.  His recipes were fantastic.  They are on my Food Pinboard if you are interested.  I made his turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce, and brussel sprouts.  The stuffing recipe came from someone else, also pinned. I also made a roast beef as a back up.   My husband made his famous mashed potatoes.  Oldest daughter made her grilled asparagus and green beans with almonds.  Youngest daughter greeted guests, took coats, and served drinks while we did the last minute cooking.


I managed to make matching Christmas pyjama pants for all of us for Christmas.  Plus  a pair of pj pants for my daughter's boyfriend.


I have lots of plans for the new year to share but that can wait for now.

Hope you enjoyed the holidays and your families.

Thanks for dropping by,

7 comments:

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

Oh, what a clever idea for the Santa fabric! What a great job, Janlynn. I love the bright green--one of my favorite colors. I, too, will have to use the fabric for next Xmas. Your table setting looks wonderful. I'm going to check out your recipes. I tried a new crockpot cranberry sauce one for Thanksg., it really turned out good.

Andrea said...

Love your placemats! Didn't know Ikea had Xmas fabric. Great deal on dishes. :))

Sew Country Chick said...

Very cute! I have never looked at the fabrics at Ikea. Ill have to check them out.

shez said...

your table looks so pretty ,love it,well done.

Catherine Goez said...

Lovely table. I love those kissing salt and pepper shakers too.

Gayle said...

You are very creative, sounds like your table was beautiful and the food as well. Great ideas.

DeniseAngela said...

Sounds wonderful......& your table was beautifully created! Love the matching Christmas P.J's idea.....would love to sneak a peek at them!