Back in April, Fashion daughter need a killer top for a fashion event at school. She wanted a peplum top and of course all the patterns available were not what she liked. I found a Burda pattern she liked but the size was off. It never is easy. She is a terrible customer, picky, critical, and never shows up for fittings! Oh and she never pays!!!
Anyway, seeing as she is my daughter, she is my best customer. I downloaded Burda #113 even though I had the magazine from 8/2012. Piecing the pattern together is much easier than tracing from the magazine.
I had to grade up the pattern three sizes. It was easier than usual due to the absence of seam allowances and the excellent and detailed measurement chart that Burda provides.
I made two muslins to teak the fit. My biggest challenge was the placement of the darts. I worried about the sleeves being tight so I decided to cut them on the bias.
To find the perfect fabric we drove to Ottawa Street in downtown Hamilton, a nearby city. In my favourite store they sell end of the rolls for $3.00 a metre. The bright pink duchess satin was there. Two and a half meters for $7.50. Score. I had a pink invisible zipper from our Mood shop two years ago, and tons of pink lining left from her sister's grade school graduation. Yes I am a fabric hoarder.
Since I had already made the muslins, the top went together smoothly and quickly. I lined the entire top despite the pattern directions. I don't like topstitching satin.
Since that was a success, I decided to keep going. I made her another top from black stretch denim and faux leather. The back features a large industrial exposed zipper. I wanted to add studs to the sleeves but she thought it might be too much.
I am saving this pattern because I am sure I will use it again. Next time as a dress.
Lessons from this activity --- 1) Sewing is the easy part. Fitting is H###.
2) The big four are not always your best option.
Thanks for dropping bye.