Sunday, July 7, 2013

Finally Some Clothes








Believe it or not I do sew clothes.  I love fashion sewing.  I just never seem to get around to taking pictures and posting.  But I am trying to do better.




 Back in April, Fashion daughter need a killer top for a fashion event at school.  She wanted a peplum top and of course all the patterns available were not what she liked.  I found a Burda pattern she liked but the size was off.  It never is easy.  She is a terrible customer, picky, critical, and never shows up for fittings!  Oh and she never pays!!!





Anyway, seeing as she is my daughter, she is my best customer.  I downloaded Burda #113 even though I had the magazine from 8/2012.  Piecing the pattern together is much easier than tracing from the magazine.

I had to grade up the pattern three sizes.  It was easier than usual due to the absence of seam allowances and the excellent and detailed measurement chart that Burda provides.

I made two muslins to teak the fit.  My biggest challenge was the placement of the darts.  I worried about the sleeves being tight so I decided to cut them on the bias.

To find the perfect fabric we drove to Ottawa Street in downtown Hamilton, a nearby city.  In my favourite store they sell end of the rolls for $3.00 a metre.  The bright pink duchess satin was there.  Two and a half meters for $7.50.  Score.  I had a pink invisible zipper from our Mood shop two years ago, and tons of pink lining left from her sister's grade school graduation.  Yes I am a fabric hoarder.

Since I had already made the muslins, the top went together smoothly and quickly.  I lined the entire top despite the pattern directions.  I don't like topstitching satin.




Since that was a success, I decided to keep going.   I made her another top from black stretch denim and faux leather.  The back features a large industrial exposed zipper.   I wanted to add studs to the sleeves but she thought it might be too much.




I am saving this pattern because I am sure I will use it again.  Next time as a dress.





Lessons from this activity ---  1)  Sewing is the easy part.  Fitting is H###.
                                               2)  The big four are not always your best option.


Thanks for dropping bye.


Janlynn









 

6 comments:

Etcetorize said...

That turned out great! I especially love the combination of denim and faux leather, looks very chic~

Andrea said...

Love them both! I'm sure she will look stunning in them!

amy mayen said...

Can I be your daughter?

I love both tops! I'm sure she looked amazing at the event. Great job, as always!!!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I have never been to Ottawa Street, I must get there! The fabric looks great, you did an awesome job, I love the peplum trend. Love your fashion posts!

GodsgirlT said...

What a great first statement! I feel you! Some days are harder than other...sewing, blogging, posting...Not one but TWO killer tops! Very nice!

Nat said...

your so talented, these are wonderful!! :)